mccPILOTLOG database backup functions are available from the Tools - Backup Database page. There are 3 different backup modes :
- manual backup - press the Backup Now button to create a backup to the selected directory (either the local PC, a network drive or some mounted SD / USB disk)
- automatic backup - the automatic backup runs every time or every 8 or 30 days, and saves the backup to the selected directory
- ENT users cloud backup - automatic backup to mccCLOUD everytime the application is closed
The backup procedure runs in 3 steps, as follows :
- mccPILOTLOG copies the database from the local Database folder to the local Backup folder
- ZIP the database and add an unique password to the ZIP file
- send the ZIP file to the selected directory or to mccCLOUD
When a Backup is being restored, the same 3 steps are done, but in opposite direction.
Error when making a Backup
An error may occur when the database backup is being copied to the local backup folder (step 1 of 3) or to the destination folder (step 3 of 3) :
Continue as follows :
1) Verify the Application Data Folder :
2) Verify that the application directory is not damaged. It should have the following sub-folders (image). If any of the folder is missing, you can try to manually add the missing folder. If not successful, contact the Helpdesk.
3) Verify that the destination folder is existing and that mccPILOTLOG has sufficient rights to access that folder.
Error when restoring a Backup
Typical errors when restoring the backup are :
1) The backup was created with an outdated version of mccPILOTLOG
mccPILOTLOG guarantees backward compatibility up to 12 months (but usually we go much further)
2) An error when unzipping the backup file
The ZIP file is protected with a password to guarantee that your privacy is respected. The password is generated by mccPILOTLOG and is different for each-and-every pilot using the logbook software. If you had created the backup with another license key, mccPILOTLOG cannot open the ZIP file.
3) An error when downloading the ZIP file from mccCLOUD
Your antivirus may block the download of database files or ZIP files. Your firewall, router or ISP may restrict internet download and only allow download from HTTPS, whereas mccCLOUD is a HTTP server
Or, mccPILOTLOG does not have access to your Application Data directory
4) You have used the software before with a different name or a different license key
e.g. the license key was issued to Stanislaw Malinowski but you have been using Stan Malinowski or Stanislaw D. Malinowski before.
Since the backup file on mccCLOUD contains your name, the Restore function cannot find the backup file. Contact the Helpdesk to manually search your backup.